HPA Motorsports is passionate about creating custom cars that perform. Since 1991 HPA Motorsports has set performance trends in the industry, raising the bar with every project.
The DSG gearbox is an amazing bundle of technologies with over 50 patents protecting it. The mechanical and software details of this technology are on lockdown from even the dealerships who are not allowed to perform any service other than the basic maintenance.
Not to let this dissuade us, in 2004 HPA began our study to understand the overall mechanical limits of the DSG gearbox and compare it to those of the known manual gearbox. These efforts, along with our 15 year reputation in the field, gained us the attention of Volkswagen and earned us the right to exclusively build the three RGT project cars (Jetta, Passat, and Toaureg) for the debut at the 2005 SEMA show. All powered by a twin turbo and the Jetta and Passat outfitted with the DSG.
Our team met with the head software and mechanical developers for the DQ200, DQ250, and DQ500 DSG Gearboxes, and participated in ride and drives with the Audi A3 calibration team.
After more than three years of multiple overlapping and compounding durability evaluations together with our global partners (including the 24 hours at Nurenburgring, and numerous FT565 vehicle builds), our group has developed the software expertise necessary to ensure safe functionality of the DSG in extreme applications.
Unlike simple engine tuning which involves the use of one of many readily available programming interfaces to manipulate the spark and fuel of the engine map, tuning the DSG involves many more parameters and a secure understanding of how these react to various vehicle inputs.
Reading and writing software to an ECU is one thing, but without the experience and first hand knowledge of cause and effect generated by manipulating the blind variables of the DSG software, it is a potentially dangerous situation.
With over two dozen different DSG gearboxes in North America (and several more globally), no tuner is better versed and more prepared than HPA is to overcome these variables to ensure a perfect result that won’t prematurely wear out clutch packs or threaten the sensitive gearbox.
HPA DSG / S-Tronic Performance Programming is available for vehicles ranging from the earliest 2004 models including most of the newest 2009+ models.
In early 2008, many tuners began offering big power upgrades for DSG equipped cars without consideration of augmenting this critical piece of hardware. HPA has worked since 2004 with an evolving understanding of the DSG system to develop cohesive power packages that deliver proven, durable, results. It was not until late 2008 that a feasible avenue to offer this DSG performance software to the general public was realized. At that time, HPA kicked off an aggressive initiative to clearly showcase the benefits and needs of DSG modification. Throughout our first two trips around the continent we further studied the idiosyncrasies of the various OEM DSG files and finalized our official offerings.
With an HPA tune, each file is created specifically for the car which it is being written to. This ensures that sensitive emissions and hardware interfaces are not jeopardized by an attempted one file fits all strategy.
Stage 2: $899.00
DSG performance involves a synergetic relationship between shift call outs, engine load, driver demand, and mechanical execution. Within these relationships, a harmonic balance must be maintained to ensure the various integrated systems work together and do not overpower their basic limitations. HPA's Stage 2 DSG Program has the following features:
- Progressive Shift Response
- Torque limit increased from 350nm to 500nm
- Launch Control
- Increased Redline to 7150 RPM
- Eliminated Automatic Shifting (multiple modes for each driving mode)
- In-Dash Gear Display
Stage 3 - Extreme Performance: $1995.00
Stage 3 software is a must for all 400+ HP applications and those drivers who demand the most out of their chassis in D, S, or M mode. In addition to the upgrades offered in the Stage 2 package, Stage 3 includes the following benefits:
- Stage 3 is a complete departure from the factory software, every gear interchange throughout every mode (D, S, and M) at every driving condition (tip, partial, or wide open throttle) is recalibrated to accommodate torque in excess of 600 ft lbs of torque
- Our programming revamps the clutch engagement curve and allows you to take advantage of the increased grip from performance clutches by scaling out the pressure calibration field. With more pressure on tap to clamp down the clutches, the additional TQ applied through High HP applications won’t strain your clutch packs
- The D mode up-shift program has been tailored to avoid sub 30 MPH 6 gear selections which, when combined with high HP and torque, will overload the sensitive input shafts of the gearbox
- Additionally, a manual override feature enables the driver to retain manual callout in D or S mode instead of reverting back to automatic after 8 seconds
NOTE://OEM clutches have a durability threshold of 400 crank HP. With stage 3, we have been able to hold 500HP but the reliability of these packs can not be quantified.
Stage 4 - Customized Power Map: $2495.00
For DSG equipped cars with modified Forced Induction applications, or those boasting 450hp+, this Stage 4 offering is a necessity! It offers all of the benefits of Stage 3, but fully customized to suit your vehicle needs.
- Expanded Oil temperature range to support long sustained wide open throttle runs without engaging limp mode
- Custom Synchronized “S” mode matched to your supplied engine power profile to maximize power band at each shift point
- Revamped Clutch engagement curve to allow better grip with either the OEM clutches or our aftermarket upgraded versions
- Unrestricted Torque Limiter lets you radically increase or completely eliminate the DSG torque limiter; empowering you and your engine tuner with the latitude (with associated risk and responsibility) to explore the upper limits of your hardware’s performance
- Remapped “D” mode features a staged up-shift sequence until 6th gear is reached; offering a more natural and intuitive feel for driving around town. This pattern better supports brief acceleration blasts without the need for aggressive downshifts which can be very abusive on the gearbox and which erode the initial impact of the power band when looking to overtake
TDI-specific Stage 2: $649.00
With the TDI gaining in popularity, HPA has assembled a DSG upgrade suited to the power characteristics of this fuel efficient power plant. The DSG is a brilliant piece of technology, and HPA has now perfected its union with the TDI engine.
- Torque limit is increased from 250+ ft lbs to 360+ ft lbs. HPA’s TDI DSG software has increased the DSG gearbox’s ability to transmit torque while still ensuring the stability and capability of all the mechanical moving hardware within the DSG gearbox. If you are running performance engine software, this flash is a must to ensure the DSG can make full use of your bumped up power. Otherwise, the stock DSG software is able to override your engine software once it sees power in excess of its factory programmed 258 ft lbs torque limit
- Shift response is faster and more progressive. Through our careful command of the clutch pressures, we are able to progressively increase the responsiveness of the shifters; reducing reaction times from 0.4 sec to 0.08 seconds. Under cruising and tip throttle conditions, shift response time is approximately 30% faster than factory. From half load to full throttle, it is nearly 70% faster to respond. This means less lag when working the paddles; and more consistent and predictable shifting when you need it
- Automatic shifting in M mode is disabled. HPA gives you back true control when running in manual mode. No longer will the TDI up-shift or down-shift at inopportune times while in M mode once the annoying auto up-shift and kick down are disabled
Please contact us to order or for more information.